Sunday, September 13, 2009

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless (1991)




My desert island album. This is by far one of the most intense and cerebral albums I have ever come across. It is a nonstop psychedelic powerhouse. Beautiful indie pop songs buried in a sea of swirling, crushing guitar distortion and cooing vocals. I feel like I am sleeping on pink clouds when I listen to this shit. This is most definitely one of those albums that you want to sit down and listen to all the way through. I see it less as a compilation of eleven great songs, but more of a 45-minute sonic soul adventure. 'To Here Knows When' is a personal highlight for me, where all the instruments and sounds blend so perfectly together into a swirling, trippy, acid haze of a pop song. I'll be honest this is not social music. I like to put this on and completely withdraw and disconnect myself from everything, everyone. The ecstasy that this music makes you feel is that sensation of feeling completely adrift, gone, lost. It's hypnotic and mesmerizing, and it is the indie rock, dream pop, psychedelic rock Holy Grail.

No comments:

Post a Comment