Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750) - Six Suites for Solo Cello (1717-1723), played by Pierre Fournier



The heaviest of the heavy. The Six Solo Cello Suites are are a landmark musical creation, and I consider them to be among mankind's most inspired artistic achievements. Every movement is a journey of the soul, every minute that I listen to this music I can feel my mind slowly expanding and growing along with the flowing, endless counterpoint. I think I love this music so much because I truly don't understand it. I will spend my whole life playing and studying these pieces, and I know that as time goes on I will only have a heightened awareness of their mystery. Listening to this music, playing this music, just being around it in any way is a mystical experience. It is purifying sound. It reaches down into the depths of my spiritual being and fills my life with meaning. Its fucking mind blowing, MAN. Fournier is also a god. Go there.

1 comment: