Saturday, September 12, 2009

Lotus Plaza - The Floodlight Collective (2009)




I've been really loving this one for the past few nights. Lotus Plaza is the side-project of the Deerhunter guitarist Lockett Pundt, and if you listen to Deerhunter, you will hear the similarities immediately. The album to me sounds just like the way the cover looks, like you're remembering some happy childhood memory but it's all a bit hazy and glowing, and time has slowly started to wash away those little details. This album is excellent. Every song flows together into a colorful psychedelic haze with beautiful melodies and endless layers of reverbed guitars and vocals. I think the influence of artists like My Bloody Valentine, Stereolab, and Brian Eno are very much present throughout the album. If you're into stuff like that as much as I am, I'm pretty damn sure you'll dig this. I really love the way all these songs manifest themselves and develop. They usually start with one main idea that endlessly repeats itself hypnotically, continuosly building in sound and energy, spiraling up and up into a rainbow colored sky. I can feel time stretching out to eternity when I listen to some of these tunes, simply because of the way that they are constructed. And it's awesome. If you are feeling particularly thoughtful or reflective tonight, throw this on and let yourself drift into a dream. Dis shit feels good mang. Schwa

No comments:

Post a Comment