Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Woods - Songs of Shame (2009)

How about something a little bit lighter. I think Woods is one of the best bands on the New York lo-fi freak psych label Woodsist. If you listen to this, I think you will agree. These guys really took me off guard at first and it took me at least a month to really let their sound to sink in. They are definitely in the lo-fi folk campfire wierdo vein, but their sound is very strange to me--"skeletal psychedelia" as the woodsist label says. The singers distant and reedy voice also had a lot to do with my initial shock, but it really grew on me with some time. This is for sure one fantastic album with some really killin jams on it. Probably the standout moment for me is 'Gyspy Hand' which almost sounds like if you played a Velvet Underground LP at 45rpm. It's a brisk folk jam with some beautiful soaring vocal harmonies that crescendo in a wild psyched out noisy dueling guitar jam session. FANFUCKINTASTIC SONG! If you find it odd at first, dont throw it away, give it some time, give it some space, and I'm sure you will find it odd and delightful soon enough. listen

No comments:

Post a Comment