Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Fall Break

Sooooo, I'm going home for fall break and I'm leaving my computer so no posts for the weekend...BUT before I go here are a few good autumnal albums that are perfect for this moody, contemplative time of the year.

Elliott Smith - Elliott Smith (1995)

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiVcnLEU6IhBlnAV-assaJm0wwGR5EGLRdt56e_3KM7KjzOnlYM-ls_2n9HxMFnaQit4Jolj-jV50C-X9BYgyii8H1D3WvoeAKjvdOhD2wL7_caEzlnErpffrala6AX2AotxaDl-XB3IdiL/s320/Elliott+Smith+-+selftitled.jpeg.jpg

This one completely blew my mind when I first heard it. It was almost too intense back in Freshman year of high school, and it immediately became one of my favorites. It remains to this day a very powerful album to me--its sadness and beauty have never ceased to get under my skin. Its almost sounds as if the Beatles made an acoustic album that was darker, angrier, sadder, starker, more intense, and more beautiful than anything they had ever made before. I'm guessing most people have heard this, but if you haven't, now may be the perfect time. Listen


Panda Bear - Person Pitch (2007)

http://consequenceofsound.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/panda-bear-person-pitch.jpg

One of my favorite space-out albums. Beautiful, heavenly cosmic jams that sometimes I wish would go on for eternity. Nostalgic, reflective, ecstatic, and lonely music. Listen

Skip Spence - Oar (1969)

http://www.academyannex.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/wpsc/product_images/skip%20spence%20oar.jpg

The stunning and moving statement of a fragile, brilliant, and damaged mind. The story goes that Spence spent six months in a psych-ward after spinning out on LSD and trying to chop down his bandmates' hotel room door. Upon his release from Bellevue (where he was diagnosed with schizophrenia) he hopped on a motorcycle in his pajamas and drove to Nashville, and recorded this album, completely solo. It is one of the most incredible, heart-wrenching albums I know of. You need this one.

Beck - Sea Change (2002)

http://vidassonoras.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/beck.jpg

I know I just posted Beck, but I really can't leave this one out. Seriously. Saddest album ever? Just about.

Johannes Brahms (1833-1897) - 4 ballades Op.10, 2 Rhapsodies Op.79, 10 Intermezzi

http://img.amazon.ca/images/I/517N92QWK9L._SL500_AA240_.jpg
Brahms is the ultimate autumnal master, and Glenn Gould would have to be his painfully introverted and equally autumnal modern counterpart. They meet in time and space on this album and the result is mindblowing. The ballades and rhapsodies are awesome, but if you want to get to the heart of it, the REAL deep shit, go straight to the intermezzi and prepare yourself for some seriously revelatory moments. check it

No comments:

Post a Comment