Sunday, October 11, 2009

Jelly Roll Morton - The Piano Rolls


.............And all of a sudden I'm having a knee-slappin' jumpin up and down good time. These piano rolls are from 1924 and are captured MAGNIFICENTLY on this disc. Incredibly clear and alive sounding...almost as if the man himself were right there blowin your mind just for you. This music feels so good--it is all at once simple at its core, yet endlessly complex and virtuosic. Its very rare that you get music that mixes all of this, while being incredibly fun and easy to listen to. He is the self proclaimed "inventor of jazz", and despite him being insanely pompous, his proclomations are not too far off. It really slays me everytime I listen to it, because this grooves just as hard, if not harder, than anything I know of. Enough already. I don't like to make promises, but I PROMISE you, that if you listen to this, your day will be substatially improved had you not heard it. Go ahead, throw that smile on.

No comments:

Post a Comment