Monday, August 31, 2009

RUBBLEBUCKET ORCHESTRA







I had the pleasure of seeing this phenomenal band on Friday night, and for the fourth or fifth time now, I got my mind blown. What really fucks me up is how every time I see them they are a mIIIILLION times better than the last time I saw them. They have a new album coming out in October, and i think they are poised for success on a big big scale. They've been touring extensively and are really kicking shit into high gear. I fucked up my neck so bad from rocking out so hard. When they play live, it is a primal experience of the most intense kind. Their horn players have a sound so thick and huge that comes down on you like electric sheets of brilliant colors. The rhythm section grooves so hard I found myself slipping into unconctrollable fits of ecstasy. I ask myself, how is it possible that they jam so many styles, vibes, and energies together without the sound getting gimmicky or sloppy or overcooked? I hear fela kuti, i hear radiohead, i hear bjork, i hear talking heads, i hear deerhoof, i hear too many things to even begin to wrap my mind around it. i hear Rock, pop, heavy funk, afro beat, psychedelia, electronica, minimalism, all focused into explosive, creative, well written, mesmerizing songs. Sound like too much? One thing too many going on? Fuck no. Its a new genre and its called Rubblebucket. Wander over there for a few minutes and I guaruntee you will find your time is rewarded with musical joy. Remember the name, because youre going to be seeing it around.

1 comment: