Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Flaming Lips - Transmissions from the Satellite Heart


This is a brand new discovery for me and holy fuck am I glad I finally got around to checking it out. I think it’s been a while since I’ve heard an album that is so psychy and fuzzed up yet still so full of tasty pop gems. It is so whimsical and exploding with pure joy I don’t know if I can even handle it sometimes. The second track, Pilot Can at the Queer of God, makes me feel like I’m drunk and doing cartwheels on Mars. Coyne’s bizarre lyrics remind me of Beck’s surrealism and Ween’s off the wall humor, and his words are just so fun to listen to like on “She Don’t Use Jelly”. I am especially digging how friendly and familiar all the songs feel, yet there is still definitely this intense undercurrent of sonic experimentation and psychedelic weirdness. I highly recommend this album to anyone who is into great songs, bubblegum melodies, and weird psychedelic noise-freak outs all mashed up together. Similar bands I think would be shit like Mercury Rev, Ween, Pixies, Beck, etc.

P.S. Theres a link in the comment box

1 comment: